15 Tips for Creating a Vision Board That Becomes YOUR Life
The time has come to harness that New Year, New You fresh start energy that surrounds all of us. Let’s proceed with caution, because you need time to design and create your vision board. Give yourself the grace you would give a beloved and fragile friend.
1. Use a Feng Shui Bagua to organize your board. A little extra karma won’t hurt.
2. Time. Give yourself time to find images. Use magazines, Pinterest and photos from your life.
3. Introduce a mindfulness practice. Go inward to listen to the things that are naturally happening in your body and mind.
4. Get clear on your personal values. Let the board be an expression of how you choose to express your values in the next 6–12 months. Action Tip: https://ebenumequation.com/free-resources/
5. What are the mindset or attitudes that you need to shift to accomplish your goals on the vision board? Be honest with yourself, it will energize your growth.
6. Try journal writing. List 10 powerful questions that would provide you with clarity in the new year. Sample questions: What are you tolerating? What can no longer be deferred in 2019? What is the ideal future that you would relish in Feb, 2019? Action Tip: Schedule two Clarity sessions each month on your calendar. After the sessions are complete then treat yourself to something that makes you happy.
7. Make your vision real, but include a bit of stretch. If you are currently a senior analyst, can you add a special project or promotion to your resume? Focus on the emotions not the path to the goal. How will you feel once you are on your way and accomplished the goal?
8. Create an over-arching statement. That defines the board in one sentence. Ex. My goal is to create a life I don’t need a vacation from.
9. Speak life into your board. Focus on it daily. Hang it in a place where you will see it daily… family room, home office, kitchen, etc.
10. Ready, Set, Go!!! Visioning is a great exercise but the corporate coach in me wants you to create a plan. Action Tip: #BuildYourOwnAccelerator Write a list of goals, divide it up and put dates against the actions. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
11. Inspire yourself. Just like on the airplane safety video before you can assist others, you must take care of yourself first. Start with inspiration, things that feed your soul. Ideas, pictures, places that energize and fuel growth. Action Tip: #BuildYourOwnAccelerator schedule activities each month that move you forward. A few examples, networking conference, coffee with people in your network, create reflection and reset retreat (separate post coming).
12. Your vision will evolve just like you do. So leave room for evolution and growth. Decide this is my vision for 1q19 or 2H19. Action Tip: Then create S.M.A.R.T. Goals around the first steps.
13. Have fun this is your life, create one that you really want to live.
14. Add phrases and quotes that are meaningful to you. One of my favorites is by Rumi- “You are not a drop in the ocean, but the ocean in one drop.”
15. Put a picture of yourself on the board. You need to see yourself in your vision.
Happy New Year!!! May your year be filled with experiences that leave you awestruck and grateful, love that leaves your heart full, and conversations that become the catalyst for a string of incredible days, weeks and months in 2019.